What happens when you’re injured in a store in Wisconsin
Negligent retail stores are liable for premise-related injuries: from the biggest retail giants like Walmart and Lowes to the smallest niche boutique. The store and its employed people are responsible for the safety of its patrons: that’s you. When a store manager or employee is negligent and ignores potential hazardous conditions, they endanger the safety of their customers and are responsible for paying damages.
Slip and fall in a store in Wisconsin
Slip and fall related injuries are the most common accidents at a store. The store is liable for a number of premise-related accidents, like:
- an object hitting you;
- a slip and fall due to an obstruction;
- tripping on defective flooring or rugs;
- unmanageable crowds; or
- slipping in the parking lot
Unfortunately, those who suffer injuries while at retail store are on the hook for resulting medical fees, and often lose money from missing work. Here’s what you can do to get the settlement you deserve for your pain and suffering.
What to do after an accident in a store
A proper case is built with sufficient evidence. We believe our clients, but the burden of proof is on us to convince the insurance company or even the courtroom about what happened. Collect evidence in the event of an accident like this:
- Report your injury to the owner or whoever is in charge of the business at the time of the injury. This should be a brief encounter. Tell them:
- What happened, where it happened, a brief description
- DO NOT sign anything and check their written report for accuracy—grab yourself a copy of that for later.
- If no one is there at the time of injury, then write to the store regarding the incident (still remain general in your account)
- You’re not OKAY. It may be hard to go against your instinct to walk it off, but if you affirm you’re physically okay to store managers, then develop severe symptoms later in the day/week, the store can claim you were not injured at their place, making it harder to win compensation.
- Take photographs of the incident location and injury.
- Have a friend (if applicable) take as many detailed photos as they can
- Take video of the scene as well—any documented evidence is helpful
- Seek medical attention immediately—especially if you’re seriously injured.
- A doctor’s diagnosis goes significantly further than your personal diagnosis in a settlement case
- Seek legal representation from an expert personal injury lawyer with your interests and well-being in mind.
Premises liability attorney Steve Caya has in-depth understanding of Wisconsin liability law and when you can sue a store for negligence. There are key things accident victims should know before filing a slip and fall lawsuit in Wisconsin.
Contact us for a free claim review and we'll gladly speak with you anywhere in Wisconsin.
Store injury settlements in the state of Wisconsin
Want to make them pay?Free case consultation
Every case is different in injury severity and premise liability claims, but when you consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer like Steve Caya you know you’ll get maximum compensation for your pain and suffering.
Establishment owners may have the legal obligation to inspect their premises for potential hazards, maintain employee training concerning patron safety, and uphold state regulations. Neglect in any of these areas may mean compensation for you. A negligent store manager or employee shouldn’t mean the demise of your finances or your freedom.
Steve Caya has a proven record of successful personal injury claims including six and seven-figure settlements for his clients.
We know you must be asking yourself, “is a lawsuit strategically smart for me?” Don’t worry yourself with that. Ask one of our professional attorneys to thoroughly review your case for free and help make that decision.
From insurers to injured—REDISTRIBUTION
throughout Rock County and southeastern Wisconsin
You aren't alone. Time to lawyer up and get the compensation you deserve.Store injury lawyer
Beloit Store injury lawyer
Cambridge Store injury lawyer
Cottage Grove Store injury lawyer
Delavan Store injury lawyer
Fort Atkinson Store injury lawyer
Eagle Store injury lawyer
East Troy Store injury lawyer
Edgerton Store injury lawyer
Elkhorn Store injury lawyer
Fitchburg Store injury lawyer
Janesville Store injury lawyer
Jefferson Store injury lawyer
Johnson Creek Store injury lawyer
Lake Geneva Store injury lawyer
Lake Mills Store injury lawyer
MadisonStore injury lawyer
Milwaukee Store injury lawyer
Palmyra Store injury lawyer
Stoughton Store injury lawyer
Sun Prairie Store injury lawyer
Walworth Store injury lawyer