What to Do After a Collision
When a car accident happens, it is difficult to know what you should do to protect your interests. This video from Beloit car accident lawyer Steve Caya explains the essential steps you need to take when an accident occurs. The decisions you make in the immediate aftermath of the accident are going to make a profound impact on whether you can recover fully for losses and damages a crash causes. You want to make informed choices and take the right steps in the minutes and days after the crash so you preserve evidence and protect your right to make a claim.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO AFTER A MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT?
Attorney Steve Caya explains five steps that crash victims should take following a collision. As explained in this informative YouTube video, the steps include:
- Calling the police or sheriff. You should always call the authorities, even if you initially believe the accident was a relatively minor one. You want a law enforcement officer to come to the crash scene, assess what occurred, make a crash report and write a ticket if the other driver engaged in unsafe driving. All of the evidence that comes from the accident report can eventually be used to make your case and prove how a crash happened.
- Identify eyewitnesses who saw the crash. You should get the contact details of everyone who saw the accident take place. You can get these witnesses to testify about how the accident happened in case there is a dispute over the cause of the collision. This can be invaluable evidence that you need to be able to prove another driver was responsible for hurting you.
- Take pictures at the collision scene. Photographs can show the damage to the vehicle, the location of the cars before and after the accident, the location of debris in the roadways, and other important details that can help show how a crash happened. Photos that shed more light on the cause of the crash can be used as evidence to prove liability, while photos about the extent of the damage can help you convince a jury how bad the accident was.
- Get medical attention. Many people do not get an exam after an accident because they don’t realize they are hurt or they think their injuries are minor. The adrenaline from the accident can actually mask pain and make it harder to know how badly you are hurt. Once the adrenaline wears off and you begin to experience pain later, you’ll eventually be correctly diagnosed — but it is harder to prove the injuries were caused by the crash if you don’t go to the doctor right away.
- Contact an attorney. Getting legal help from an experienced lawyer is essential because your attorney can begin investigating factors like skid marks, the angle of the sun, trees at the crash scene and other factors that may have impacted how the accident happened.
Learn more about these essential steps to take after a crash by watching the YouTube video, or contact a car accident lawyer in Beloit today to find out more about how you can get help following a car crash.
Feeling prolonged neck or back pain after your collision?
It's NOT normal. Your pain is a direct result of the accident, and you are entitled to monetary compensation for your pain.
Car crash related whiplash requires medical treatment to get better—and medical bills pile up fast. Take action, file a claim and get a settlement you deserve to get your life back on track.
Redistributing - from Insurers to Injured
throughout Rock County and southeastern WisconsinReport a Car Accident in
Janesville Report a Car Accident in
Beloit Report a Car Accident in
Fort Atkinson Report a Car Accident in
Edgerton Report a Car Accident in
Jefferson Report a Car Accident in
Delavan Report a Car Accident in
Walworth Report a Car Accident in
Lake Geneva Report a Car Accident in
Whitewater Report a Car Accident in
Stoughton Report a Car Accident in
East Troy Report a Car Accident in
Palmyra Report a Car Accident in
Eagle Report a Car Accident in